Sunday, September 14, 2008

Uphill with a wedgie

Since purchasing the trikes we've had several people ask about how well they climb a hill. Like many tools it is often the person using the tool that determines how well it performs. Just owning a Stradivarius violin and taking a few lessons will not make you a concert violinist owning a bike or trike of any make will make you a better hill climber.

Today I got a chance to compare first hand. My wife & son took the trikes and I went along with the mountain bike, a true wedgie. We tackled the two biggest hills on our nearby road/trail circuit. I found that I could out pace them on short hills but on longer climbs they were able to methodically attack the hill at a pace I could not maintain. At the end of our ride my wife pushed the wedgie up the last hill and I road the GT3 trike. I had no problem finishing the climb even though I was pacing her walking speed. I could never have done that on a wedgie. So my totally unscientific conclusion: wedgies win on short burst hills but trikes are better for long steady climbs.

At least with my legs. Your mileage may vary.

No comments: